Revelation Study 7) The Throne (Chapter 4) for word doc click here
From acting as a scribe, writing down messages for the 7 churches, John now becomes a seer, seeing into the heavenly realms. This chapter represents a powerful introduction to the spiritual world beyond the material world and begins with an overwhelming vision of the throne of God.
- Why does John’s vision begin with a throne room? What is the significance of a throne to the message of Revelation? What difference does it make that God is at the centre of the universe?
- Jim reminded us that this is “a circumstance-defying vision for a sidelined people”. Do you feel that your faith sidelines you from society? How does this vision re-ignite our confidence? Why do we struggle to see through our circumstances to the reality of this vision?
- Read Ezekiel chapter 1 – how does the imagery in this chapter compare or contrast with Revelation chapters 1 & 4? What is God’s purpose in granting such visions to his prophets?
- Why would the imagery of this scene encourage the first hearers of this letter? What is the significance of the 24 elders, rainbow, thrones, sea of glass and living creatures?
- What attributes of God do we see displayed and worshipped in this chapter? How does this compare with our praise & prayer life? Do you find it difficult to adore God’s greatness and glory, if so why do you think that is?
- How do you think the churches in Ephesus, Pergamum, Sardis and Laodicea would feel about entering the throne room of God of chapter 4? How might their emotions be different from the faithful but persecuted church in Smyrna? What does our response to God’s majesty tell us about the state of our own hearts?
- What would you say to someone who said “I don’t understand this idea of a God who says, “You have to acknowledge me. You have to say that I’m the best, and then I’ll give you eternal happiness. If you won’t, then you don’t get it! It seemed to be about ego. I can’t see God operating from ego, so it made no sense to me (ref).” How does this chapter explain why eternal adoration of God is not egomania?
This vision is a timely reminder to the 7 churches, and us, of God’s power and majesty. He truly is the Almighty, Awesome God; may this vision reignite our passion for praising and worshipping Him.